We always have enough to be happy if we are enjoying what we do have- and not worrying about what we don't have.

- Ken Keyes

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Out you go tonsils

Over the last year or so Michael has been getting sick with strep throat and sore throats. He went to the doctor again a couple of weeks ago with a sore throat. She looked down his throat and said his tonsils were huge and very swollen. She then double checked his chart and saw how many times he has been in the office for sore throats. After checking these things she said she recommends he get his tonsils out. She referred him to Dr. Stock and told him to make an appointment to get in right away. He made an appointment with Dr. Stock and sure enough the tonsils are big and nasty and need to come out. Michael was really glad to hear that because that means he can get rid of them and hopefully not have so many problems with them anymore. He made an appointment for Friday 2-4-11 to get them removed.
On Friday we went up to Davis Hospital at 7:00 AM and he went into surgery at 8:16 AM. While the nurse was getting him prepped to go into surgery we got to talking to her and come to find out she went through the whole adoption process. It was nice to sit and visit with her. She was great!! I was really impressed with her - she was so personable and friendly.
They took Michael back to surgery and I went and hung out in the waiting room and read my book. The doctor came about a little bit later and told me the surgery went well and that his tonsils were so big and nasty - it was definitely time to have them removed. The doctor told me that they were concerned with his oxygen levels and so they wanted to to monitor him for a few hours and possibly keep him overnight. I waited a little bit longer and then they came and got me to go up to the room for them to monitor Michael. They put us in a rehab room and so there was no TV! I just sat and read my book all day. Michael slept all day long and finally around 3:00 or so they ordered him some chicken noodle soup. I was surprised that he was able to eat the noodles, chicken and carrots without a problem. He said they were really soft though which was good. He went back to sleep and around 6:00-6:30 he asked the nurse if he could go home. He didn't' want to stay the night at the hospital - he hates being at the hospital. So they finally said we could go home! YAY!!!! It was a really long day at the hospital.
The doctor called in a prescription to Walgreen's by our house so we drove to the Walgreen's to pick up the meds. We waited in line for 20 minutes in the drive-thru just for them to tell me that my insurance doesn't cover the lollipops that the doctor prescribed. I told them that was fine and that I needed them. So they told me I needed to come back in 20-30 minutes so they could make them. I was so irritated! I took Michael home and put him to bed and then I went back out to run some errands with my mom and to pick up the meds. Good think I got them when I did because when I went back home Michael was hurting pretty bad. The doctor prescribed some liquid Loratab and these lollipop things. The lollipops look like a sucker and they taste fruity. You suck on the lollipop for a few minutes and it numbs your throat and mouth. They have been a lifesaver! He took his meds and went to bed.
He has been really tired and sleeping a ton, which is good. It hasn't been as bad as we thought it would be. Just sore and really, really tired. He took the whole week off and has been resting quite a bit. It is starting to heal and he is feeling alot better! I made him some breakfast burritos for dinner last night and he said it was sooooo good. He is excited to be able to eat some real food. :) Has has been living on top raman and shakes this last week and he is so sick of it. Once he can have the real stuff we will have to make him his favorite treat!

I am just thankful that it hasn't been as bad as everyone was saying. I am just hoping that having his tonsils out will make it easier for him to sleep. Once this all gets healed up we are going back to the doctor to get him tested for sleep apnea. Hopefully he will finally be able to have some good sleep at night!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment